LESSON 2 SO WHAT IF HE'S A FEW DAYS LATE?
如果他晚了几天会怎么样呢
SCENE ONE:THE CONTROL ROOM
第一幕: 调控室
MIKE: More coffee?
迈克: 再来点儿咖啡?
LINDA: Just a little. I don't drink much coffee anymore.
琳达: 就一点点儿。我不再喝那么多咖啡了。
MIKE: That's good. Coffee isn't good for you.
迈克: 那就好。咖啡对你不好。
LINDA: I know. I'm trying to cut down on coffee. It makes me more nervous .
琳达: 我知道。我正设法少喝咖啡。它让我神经更紧张。
MIKE: What's the matter?
迈克: 怎么啦?
LINDA: It's Steven. I'm worried about him.
琳达: 是史蒂文。我有点担心他。
MIKE: Give him time.
迈克: 给他点儿时间慢慢来吧!
LINDA: I'd like to. But we don't have much time.
琳达: 我是想这样。但我们没有多少时间。
MIKE: How much time do you have?
迈克: 你们有多少时间?
LINDA: We only have a few weeks to finish this show. Then we have to do twelve more.
琳达: 我们只有几个星期来拍完这部戏。然后我们要再拍十二部戏。
MIKE: A few weeks. That's lots of time.
迈克: 几个星期。时间不少啊。
LINDA: I'm not so sure.
琳达: 我可不这么想。
MIKE: That bad?. . . Linda, cigarettes are bad for you.
迈克: 有这么糟吗?⋯⋯ 琳达, 香烟对你的身体不好。
LINDA: And your pipe is bad for you.
琳达: 你的烟斗也对你的身体也不好。
MIKE: I don't smoke it anymore.
迈克: 我不再抽烟了。
LINDA: Well, I don't smoke many now. I used to smoke more before.
琳达: 呃, 我现在也抽得不多了。我过去抽得更多。
MIKE: How many cigarettes did you smoke?
迈克: 你以前抽多少支香烟?
LINDA: Three packs a day. I'm never going to smoke that much again. And I'm only going to smoke one this afternoon.
琳达: 一天三包。我再也不会抽那么多了。今天下午我只打算抽一支。
MIKE: One now, more later. Before you know it, you're smoking three packs a day.
迈克: 现在抽一支, 以后会抽得更多。不知不觉, 你又会一天抽三包了。
LINDA: Oh, please. I only want one.
琳达: 噢, 求你了。我只要一支。
MIKE: I know.
迈克: 我知道。
LINDA: Pass the sugar, please, Mike.
琳达: 迈克, 请把糖递给我。
MIKE: Sugar is bad for you too.
迈克: 糖也对你的身体不好。
LINDA: Mike, a little sugar is OK.
琳达: 迈克, 吃一点儿糖没关系。
MIKE: I'm a new man, Linda. I only eat healthy food. I get lots of exercise. I feel much better.
迈克: 琳达, 我跟以前不一样了。我只吃健康食品。我还经常锻炼。我感觉好多了。
LINDA: You look good.
琳达: 你看上去气色不错。
MIKE: I eat lots of fish and vegetables. I don't eat much red meat.
迈克: 我吃鱼和蔬菜吃得多, 红色肉类吃得少。
LINDA: OK. OK. What about Steven?
琳达: 不错, 不错。史蒂文的工作怎么样?
MIKE: Linda, the show looks good.
迈克: 琳达, 这部戏看来不错。
LINDA: But the schedule looks terrible. I spent some time with the calendar.
琳达: 但是日程表太紧了。我仔细研究过日历( 发现时间很紧)。
MIKE: When do we finish?
迈克: 我们什么时候完工?
LINDA: October twenty-third. Steven is too slow.
琳达: 十月二十三号。史蒂文的进度太慢了。
MIKE: So what if he's a few days late?
迈克: 如果他晚了几天会怎么样呢?
LINDA: Forget it. We don't have much time or much money.
琳达: 别这么假设。我们没有多少时间和资金。
MIKE: What does Steven say?
迈克: 史蒂文怎么说的?
LINDA: He says, "Don't worry." You have to help me, Mike. Steven has to go faster.
琳达: 他说,“ 别着急。” 迈克, 你得帮帮我。史蒂文一定得快点儿。
MIKE: Maybe I can give him a little advice.
迈克: 也许我能给他点儿建议。
LINDA: Well, here he comes now.
琳达: 噢, 他来了。
STEVEN: Linda, I changed a few lines in the script. Hi, Mike. The show is going really great, isn't it?
史蒂文: 琳达, 我又改动了几行脚本。嗨, 迈克。这部戏进展得还不错, 是不是?
MIKE: Say, Steven, what are you doing for lunch?
迈克: 对了, 史蒂文, 午饭有什么安排吗?
STEVEN: I don't have any plans.
史蒂文: 我没有什么安排。
MIKE: Great. I know a great health-food restaurant. Come on.
迈克: 太好了。我知道有一家不错的健康食品饭馆。走吧。